The Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF) aims to bring together the UK’s world-leading research with business to meet the major industrial and societal challenges of our time.
Social science provides insights into many aspects of the business environment – including consumer behaviour and public attitudes; identifying opportunities for new goods, services and business models; improving supply chain relationships; maximising the value of consumer, health and other data, regulations; and understanding sector workforces and the capacity for transformation.
Social science also has a pivotal role to play in understanding the challenges themselves so that subsequent thinking about solutions takes the economic, psychological, social, legal, geographic and wider implications for people and communities into account.
On behalf of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), ESRC is running the following competitions under wave 2 of ISCF:
- ISCF Next Generation Services research programme (closed 18 July 2018)
- ISCF Transforming Construction network plus (closed 31 July 2018)
ISCF Healthy Ageing social, behavioural and design research programme
A webinar giving more details about this call and other forthcoming calls under the Healthy Ageing Challenge will be held on 24 August from 10:00-11:00. Please register to join the webinar. This call will be launched in the autumn.
All competitions under ISCF involve collaborations with businesses and/or other disciplines. Researchers interested in getting involved should regularly check funding opportunities across UKRI, including other research councils and Innovate UK.
Further information about ISCF
- How social scientists can get involved in the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ESRC blog post)
- Seeing and doing the social science in the Industrial Strategy (ESRC blog post)
- Industrial Strategy Capabliity Fund content on the UKRI website
- Workshops for scoping and publicising ISCF opportunities (Knowledge Transfer Network website)