We are pleased to announce the invitation-only call for full proposals for our Centres Competition 2018.
We are investing up to £30 million over five years through the Centres Competition. It is anticipated that ESRC will fund around four centres. The competition is for proposals ranging from £2.5 million to £8 million at 100% full economic cost (fEC) with a term of five years. We will meet 80% of the full economic costs on proposals submitted (ie ESRC funding total of £24 million at 80% fEC).
Research centre funding is aimed at experienced research leaders who require longer-term or extended support for research groups, inter-institutional research networks, project-linked programmes, medium-to-large surveys, other infrastructure or methodological developments, or any related larger-scale projects.
ESRC has recently reviewed and revised our centres policy with the aim of fostering and sustaining a larger number of centres within the UK social science infrastructure over the longer term. ESRC will provide an opportunity for centres that are successful in this competition to go on to apply for further graduated ESRC support to follow on from the centre grant.
This Centres Competition 2018 is being run as a two-stage application process. Outline stage applications closed in March 2018 and the outline assessment panel took place in May 2018.
This call for full proposals is open only to applicants who have been invited to apply.
Full proposals must be submitted to the Je-S system by the call deadline 16.00 on 13 September 2018.
- Call specification (PDF, 138Kb) (updated 27 July 2018)
- Institutional letter of support guidelines (Word, 25Kb)
- Je-S guidance notes for applicants (PDF, 204Kb) (updated 20 August 2018)
- FAQs (PDF, 133Kb) (9 August 2018)
- Deadline for submission of full proposals - 16.00 on 13 September 2018
- Full stage assessment panel - 5 February 2019 (London)
- Full stage interviews - 6 and 7 March 2019 (London)