We are pleased to invite outline proposals to take forward an ambitious research agenda with the potential to generate significant economic or societal impact. We welcome proposals for standard research projects, large-scale surveys, infrastructure projects, and for methodological developments in any area of the social sciences. We actively encourage interdisciplinarity, both within and beyond the social sciences.
Outline proposals should be between £1 million and £2.5 million (at 100% full economic cost) for a period of between three to five years. We expect to fund up to four awards.
This call provides opportunities for promoting innovation and interdisciplinarity, both within and beyond the social sciences, however excellent research within a particular social science discipline is also welcome.
This year’s competition will run as a two-stage application process. Outline proposals should be submitted via the UKRI Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) System no later than 16:00 on 14 June 2018. Shortlisting decisions will be made in September 2018, when shortlisted applicants will be invited to submit full proposals (closing date in November 2018). Proposals will be peer reviewed and assessed at a panel meeting in April 2019, with funding decisions available in May 2019.
Grants will commence from 1 October 2019.
- Call specification (PDF, 90Kb) (updated 27 April 2018)
- Je-S guidance (PDF, 150Kb) (updated 9 May 2018)
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs) (PDF, 87Kb) (updated 27 April 2018)
- Outline call announced – 16 April 2018
- Deadline for outline proposals – 14 June 2018
- Shortlisting meeting for outline proposals – September 2018
- Full call (invitation only) open – September 2018
- Full call deadline – November 2018
- Commissioning panel meeting – April 2019
- Decisions to applicants – May 2019
- Grants commence – October 2019
The Trust and Global Governance Large Grants call also launched in April (closing date 28 June 2018).