This call is now closed. The following is for information only.
The Policy Internships scheme provides an opportunity for PhD students funded by UK Research and Innovation research councils (AHRC, BBSRC, ESRC, EPSRC, MRC, NERC and STFC) to work for three months in one of a selected group of highly impactful organisations relevant to UK policy.
Internships are organised for current research council-funded PhD students to work at host partner organisations on one or more policy topics relevant to both the student and the host. The student will be expected to produce at least one briefing paper, participate in a policy inquiry or organise a policy event, or equivalent piece of work.
Internships are available with a number of parliamentary departments, government departments and non-governmental bodies, learned societies and other organisations.
Internships are available with 28 host partners:
- Age UK
- Centre for Science and Policy (CSaP)
- Committee on Climate Change
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport
- Department for Education
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Food Standards Agency
- Government Office for Science (GO-Science)
- Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services (HMICFRS)
- HM Courts & Tribunals Services
- Home Office
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC)
- National Assembly for Wales Research Service
- National Library of Scotland
- Natural England
- Northern Ireland Assembly Research and Information Service (RaISe)
- Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST)
- PHG Foundation
- Public Health England
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)
- Scottish Parliament Information Centre (SPICe)
- Select Committees, House of Commons
- Sentencing Council
- The National Archives
- The Royal Society
- The Royal Society of Biology
- WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme)