There may be occasions when due to unforeseen circumstances, you need to make some changes to a grant. This is possible, but is normally restricted to:
- Late or deferred starts: the start date of a grant can be extended if it wasn't possible to commence the research on the anticipated start date.
- Transfers: if the principal investigator moves to another eligible institution, the grant can be transferred if both the original and the new institutions agree.
- Extensions: you may be granted some additional time to complete the research (without additional funding). For example if the principal investigator or another researcher, or a member of the research staff left, was off sick or on maternity leave. Please note that requests for extensions must be made via the Grant Maintenance facility in Je-S once the required duration is known and before the grant ends. Requests received after the grant end date will be rejected, irrespective of the case.
- Changes of grant holder: if the grant holder leaves the research organisation where the grant is held, the institution can appoint a replacement.
- Termination: if the researchers or the organisation can no longer continue with the research, the institution can request termination of the grant.
In very exceptional cases, an increase or decrease to the grant cash limit may be granted.
Please refer to the UK Research and Innovation post-award guidance (UKRI website) before submitting a request.