ADR UK (Administrative Data Research UK) is welcoming applications for an initial six-month Research Fellowship scheme to conduct analysis using the newly available magistrates’ and/or Crown Court datasets, which contain case level data on criminal court use between 2011 and 2019. These de-identified, research-ready datasets are the first to made available from Data First, a programme led by the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and funded by ADR UK to link and enable access to administrative data from across the justice system and beyond for research.
This is the first of a number of open calls seeking proposals from individual researchers to be the first users of newly available, research-ready administrative data.
You can find out more about the opportunity on the ADR UK website. The deadline for applications is 20 October 2020.
The ADR UK Research Fellowship Scheme has been developed to meet the following three objectives with associated expectations of researchers and research projects:
- Useful research: to demonstrate the potential of administrative data research for public policy impact within the timeframes.
- Useful data: to develop the data as a useful research resource for future users.
- Useful engagement: to foster opportunities between academia and government that allow fresh thinking to flourish, and to maintain public acceptance for the use of data for research purposes.
In particular, we are keen to receive applications proposing to explore the following:
- The nature and extent of repeat court use
- The relationship between sentencing and repeat court use
- The relationship between court experiences and outcomes in relation to demographic characteristics such as age and ethnicity.
However, this is not a comprehensive or restrictive set of interests and applications exploring further topics will also be considered.
Funding and eligibility
A number of six-month research grants are available, up to a maximum value of £65,000 at full economic cost (FEC) with a start date no later than 15 May 2021. We hope to fund between three and six projects to use the magistrates' and/or Crown Court datasets. Eligibility criteria are as per the standard Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) Funding Rules.
You can find out more about eligibility and call conditions on the ADR UK website. The deadline for applications is 20 October 2020.
Call launch: Wednesday 12 August 2020
Applicant webinar: Friday 18 September 2020
Closing date for Je-S proposals: 16:00 on Tuesday 20 October 2020
Closing date for RAP applications: 16:00 on Tuesday 20 October 2020
Decision meeting: Tuesday 12 January 2021 (TBC)
Start date: no later than 15 May 2021